Centimeter - Definition with Examples
What is a Centimeter?
|1. Ruler : A ruler is the most common measurement tool in mathematics. It is used to measure small objects, for example, notebooks, pencils, and bottles. Most rulers come with two measurement metrics, centimeters, and inches and are made usually in lengths of 15 cm and 30 cm.|
|2. Meter stick : A meter stick is a measurement tool that measures one meter (hundred centimeters) and is used to measure things in meters and centimeters. Things like the length of a table or the width of a bag can be measured using a meter stick.|
Here are some things that can be measured in centimeters:
- The waist size of a pair of trousers
- Length of the fish caught
- The radius of a car’s tires
- The distance between a person’s eyes
Relation to other standard units:
- A meter has 100 centimeters.
- 100 millimeters make one centimeter.
- The centimeter can be written as cm.
- While calculating the surface area of an object, the unit of measurement becomes cm2.
- While measuring the volume of an object, the unit of measurement becomes cm3.
Fun facts about centimeters:
The Complete K-5 Math Learning Program Built for Your Child