Multiplicative Comparison - Definition with Examples
- Two verbal statements are used to compare two set of items, and
- then, a multiplication equation is determined.
Multiplicative comparison problems usually use phrases like:
- Times as many (3 times as many candies)
- Times more (5 times more apples)
- Times as much (7 times as much as the blue ribbon)
- Times as large (10 times as large as a brick)
Here’s an example of how a multiplicative comparison word problem can be solved using comparison bar models.
Let's do it!
Related math vocabulary
The Complete K-5 Math Learning Program Built for Your Child